Job Location: New Delhi
Duration: Full Time
About the Job:
IORA is looking to hire a self-motivated, enterprising and hardworking individual with a passion for forestry and conservation for the post of Research Associate. The role involves assisting in the development and execution of forest conservation projects. This includes eco-restoration, ecological assessments, biodiversity assessment, designing conservation plans and financial incentive strategies. The job is a good mix of office-based and outdoor work with existing opportunities to work in some of the most diverse forest and biodiversity areas in the country.
About IORA Ecological Solutions:
IORA Ecological Solutions (IORA) is a young and budding environmental consultancy group with a wide range of services on offer. It is a conservation firm with key expertise in environmental finance and policy. IORA’s portfolio of work falls under the following key sectors:
- Climate Change: IORA has developed and implemented climate finance and policy solutions towards climate change mitigation and adaptation at national and sub-national levels. We have also worked with international governments, advising them on GHG inventory systems.
- Forestry & Biodiversity: IORA’s whole systems approach to forestry and biodiversity includes application of spatial technology, forest dependence modelling, vegetation modelling, community engagement, designing robust monitoring strategies, financing and policy design at national and sub-national levels. Efforts towards biodiversity conservation combine biodiversity assessment, valuation, finance and application of market mechanisms.
- Remote Sensing & GIS: IORA specializes in the application of geospatial technology in the forestry and land use sectors. We have successfully carried out multi-temporal analysis of land use and land cover change using varied resolution RS datasets, created forest degradation maps, integrated RS analysis with mobile app-based field inventory for forest carbon mapping, created vegetation maps and trained large cadre of forestry professionals in these techniques.
- Sustainable Agriculture: IORA uses multi-disciplinary approaches like LULC mapping, socio-economic surveys and application of market mechanisms to design solutions to benefit small and marginal farmers to develop resilience to climate change.
IORA’s international and trans-disciplinary team works closely with Central and State Governments, Financial Institutions, Private Corporations and Communities to build and scale up conservation solutions. IORA is a growing company that offers an exciting work environment and ample growth potential. The company encourages originality in thought and planning and takes pride in the efficiency and efficacy of its services.
- Forest restoration assessment and planning
- Carry out forest biomass, biodiversity, and ecological assessments
- Develop landscape specific conservation strategies and interventions
- Collate and analyze data as required
- Assist in carrying out due diligence of forestry projects including suitable methodologies, success factors, and pitfalls
- Measure carbon content across different landscapes and forests
- Report writing and reviews
- Contribute to developing new project proposals
- Presentations at conferences, client sites
Desired Qualifications, Skills, and Experience and Competencies:
- Master’s degree in Forestry or related fields with relevant work experience of at least two years.
- Knowledge of forestry operations and existing practices
- Basic experience in forestry modeling, forest management planning, and participatory forest management
- Ability to conduct carbon, biodiversity, and other ecological field studies in forest
- Proficiency in report writing and documentation with a credible publication record is desirable
- Strong communication skills
- Experience working in the field/ provinces
- Willingness to learn and explore new experiences
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues
- Ability to work in challenging circumstances
- Willingness to solve research problems with creative thinking.
- Proficient with MS Excel and Word.
IORA is an equal opportunity employer.
Applicants are requested to email their C.V. (with “RA-Forestry & Biodiversity” as the subject line) with a Cover Letter (on why they are interested in the position and how suitable they are for the same – in maximum of 300 words) to email@example.com latest by July 05, 2021.