- Organization: Montana Tech
- Location: Butte, Montana, United States
- Deadline: November 12, 2021
Job Description (GIS Manager | Associate Professor | Professor):
The Montana Bureau of Mines and Geology (MBMG) invites applications for a GIS Manager to be based in Butte, Montana. MBMG (the Bureau) is a department of Montana Tech and a state service agency. The Bureau is a primary provider of applied research and technical assistance on the geology and water resources of the state of Montana.
The GIS Program Manager will provide technical expertise and operational leadership in conceiving and implementing the Bureau’s centralized GIS and technical resources to increase process efficiency, solve technical problems, and maximize the value of GIS to the Bureau. The successful candidate will focus on inter- and intra-agency GIS coordination, internal and public data dissemination, technical and program support, and database and systems management for the Bureau’s centralized GIS and Information Technology resources.
The successful candidate will be expected to stay up-to-date with the latest GIS technologies, standards, and practices and aid the GIS team in implementing that knowledge. They will serve as the subject matter expert on GIS; review data, and ensure quality control and completeness across the various MBMG functions into the central database.
This position is not an instructional, academic research, or tenurable position. In coordination with MBMG geoscientists and GIS staff, the Manager’s duties will include:
Program Manager/Technical Expert
- Provide technical direction, oversight, project management, and input for priority decisions regarding database and application development for the MBMG`s geologic mapping, geologic hazards, and economic geology programs. Create, communicate, and monitor the implementation, progress, and accomplishment of section and agency-level GIS goals.
- Provide long-term planning, technical leadership, and supervision for the GIS office. Review and help prioritize GIS application and data management backlog, and ensure GIS systems supporting the organization are reliable and performant.
- Supervise GIS staff and students; assign work, help employees set priorities, and delegate analyst-level GIS support and resources fairly among competing MBMG projects to accomplishment of section and agency-level GIS goals.
- Monitor internal and external funding initiatives and prepare any proposals or supplemental documents required to receive funding.
- Provide services and expertise in areas of GIS for other geologic research projects, including the collection, storage, analysis, use of satellite data or other remotely sensed imagery, and make recommendations on production workflows and areas of improvement.
GIS Coordination/Data Dissemination
- Coordinate agency-wide GIS resources (tools, data, and applications), lead software license purchases and user access, and serve as the agency contact for the MBMG’s ESRI Enterprise License Agreement (ELA) for GIS software licenses.
- Provide a system to ensure internal and external users can find necessary data. Develop, guide, and support improvements to GIS product content on public MBMG website and ArcGIS Online.
- Oversee organization and release of maps and associated data to the public by collaborating with a multi-disciplinary team to maintain geospatial data products in a current, updated, usable format, and print files in a retrievable format.
- Support programs and ongoing projects and improve process efficiency through the application, development and scripting of GIS-based tools, models, or scripts for automated workflows and processes for desktop and web-based platforms.
- Spearhead training, coordination, and shared learning experiences for all staff at MBMG with regular coordination meetings and open communication.
- Perform hands-on administration of ArcGIS Enterprise suite (server, datastore, portal) and ArcGIS Online, including data maintenance, publishing, user setup, user support, security, service registration, migration, and upgrades.
- Supervise and lead maintenance, updates, and archival of Enterprise databases associated with the Bureau’s geology programs. This includes leading the creation, update, and revision of best management practices for creating and publishing geologic maps and associated geologic data.
- Master’s degree plus 8 years’ experience or Ph.D. plus 5 years’ experience (Associate Professor level) OR
- Master’s degree plus 13 years’ experience or Ph.D. plus 10 years’ experience (Professor level) in GIS, Geography, Geology, or closely related field.
- Program management, including providing long-term planning, goals, leadership, and supervision
- Project management, including oversight and coordination of best practices for collecting, creating, storing, quality checking, and publishing large datasets
- Personnel management and supervision
- Expert-level spatial data creation, analysis, editing, and management using ESRI suite of software products, including ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro
- Coordinating information, tools, data, personnel, and resources across multiple agencies or groups
- Leading GIS-specific training/educational experiences and technical support
- Administrative tools in ArcGIS Enterprise and ArcGIS Online
- Versioned editing and spatial data management in enterprise geodatabases.
- Relational database management systems such as SQL Server
- In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Research-oriented manager with a strong understanding of geologic mapping principals and experience developing and working with digital geologic maps using ESRI ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Server software.
- Geoscience background
- Experience working with geologic data and databases
- Experience with the U.S. Geological Survey Map Schema (GeMS)
- Experience collecting, storing, quality checking, and managing remote sensing data (such as LiDAR, satellite imagery, UAV drone, airborne magnetic data, INSAR)
- Experience publishing and managing GIS web services
- Experience with Python scripting for task automation, shell scripting in Windows and/or Linux
- Experience working with subsurface geologic data
- Demonstrated experience developing and writing grant proposals
Physical demands: Extended time working on a computer
Applications received by November 12th, 2021 will be guaranteed full review and consideration. Applications received after that date may be considered until an adequate applicant pool has been established.
For full consideration application materials must be complete.
- Cover letter addressing qualifications,
- Contact information for 3 professional references.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon a satisfactory criminal background check.
Montana Tech is committed to providing a working and learning environment free from discrimination. As such, the University does not discriminate in the admission, access to or conduct of its educational programs and activities nor in its employment policies and practices on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ethnicity, creed, service in the uniformed services (as defined in state and federal law), veteran status, gender, age, political beliefs, marital or family status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, or sexual orientation or preference. In support of the University’s mission to be inclusive and diverse, applications from qualified minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities are highly encouraged. Montana Tech makes accommodation for any known disability that may interfere with an applicant’s ability to compete in the hiring process or an employee’s ability to perform the duties of the job. In compliance with the Montana Veteran’s Employment Preference Act, Montana Tech provides preference in employment to veterans, disabled veterans, and certain eligible relatives of veterans.
To claim veteran’s preference please complete the employment (veteran’s) preference form located on the employment page and email to email@example.com. You must include the job title of the position in which you are applying.
To request an accommodation for the application or interview, please contact Cathy Isakson 406-496-4380; firstname.lastname@example.org
Montana Technological University provides a comprehensive benefits package for all eligible positions that includes health, dental and vision insurance, mandatory retirement plan with employer contribution, partial tuition waiver, and a wellness program.
Montana Technological University, Butte Montana, is nestled in the Heart of the Rocky Mountains along the Continental Divide, where I-15 and I-90 intersect. We are home to the largest National Historic District in the country. Montana Tech is a special focus institution with a reputation for excellence and value. Montana Tech is ranked #1 in the nation by CollegeNET.
For Similar GIS Jobs: Click Here
- Tripura University: Junior Research Fellow
- Government Vacancy: Project Officer (GIS)
- Analyst, Geo Analytics – GAMMA
- Technical Assistant
- Research Officer/Senior Research Officer
|Job Category||Geo-informatics, Geography, RS and GIS|